BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Sūtasaṃhitā,; circa 1700-1850.
- Sūtasaṃhitā, circa 1700-1850.
- Manuscript used for consultation on a number of topics that include rituals, rites, modes of worship, mythology, and other elements, primarily centered on the Hindu deity Śiva. May have been compiled by the Pāśupata sect of Śaivism and composed around the 6th century A.D. Reference to the figure Bhairava, a horrific form of Śiva, along with references to the Bhairavas (underlings of Śiva). Mention of the Pāśupatas is made and their rite of smearing ash on their bodies and wearing rudrakṣa beads, sacred to Śiva. Text is divided into four saṃhitās (sections) and contains a version of the Brahmagītā in the final section (Yajñavaibhavakhaṇḍa).
- 1 item (209 leaves) : paper; 11 x 29 cm.
- (OCoLC)ocn804683255; (OCoLC)804683255; (PU)5806600-penndb-Voyager
- In Sanskrit; (Devanāgarī)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit.; Hindu mythology.; Bhairava (Hindu deity); Śaivism.; Siva (Hindu deity); Tantrism.; Pāśupatas.; Poems.; Hymns.; Prayers.; Manuscripts, Sanskrit; 18th century.; 19th century.; Manuscripts; India
- Call Number:
- Ms. Coll. 390
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts