BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Scartafaccio di fiera di Niccolo Amadori fatta d'Agosto in Piacenza 1608; [manuscript].
- Scartafaccio di fiera di Niccolo Amadori fatta d'Agosto in Piacenza 1608 [manuscript].
- Ledger of accounts of Niccolo Amadori, for the "fair" of 1608, that was held in Piacenza, northern Italy. It contains short descriptions of the transactions, which were probably made using bills of exchange, their amounts and, in certain cases, the name of the counterpart involved. A bill of exchange is a written order by one person to his bank to pay the bearer a specific sum on a specific date. Prior to the advent of paper currency, bills of exchange were a common means of exchange. Niccolo Amadori appears to be involved in such transactions both as a drawer and as a drawee. A fair, a usually quarterly event in northern Italy, was one of the largest markets for complex bills of exchange. In these fairs there was no physical delivery of the traded asset, but they attracted large volumes of investors nonetheless. In the event of a fair, like the one in Piacenza in 1608 mentioned in the title of the manuscript, businessmen and bankers such as Niccolo Amadori traded different currencies or commodities and these transactions usually happened via bills of exchange. Some merchants purchased considerable amounts of bills of exchange from various counterparts (such as Niccolo Amadori) to hedge the risk of the transactions, and made money betting on the difference of prices of the same asset which occurred on different markets because the same asset (in this case currencies and commodities such as gold and silver) does not trade at the same price in all markets.
- 72 leaves : paper; 340 x 231 mm. bound to 348 x 236 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn307502784; (OCoLC)307502784; (PU)4448426-penndb-Voyager
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- [Italy], 1608.
- Accounting -- Italy -- 17th century.; Finance -- Italy -- Early works to 1800.; Speculation -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Accounts.; Ledgers (account books); Manuscripts, Italian; 17th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Amadori family.; Amadori, Niccolo.
- Call Number:
- Oversize Ms. Codex 1388
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts