BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
The delights for ladys; [manuscript] :; to adorne there persons beautyes stillyris banquits perfumes [and] wators.
- The delights for ladys [manuscript] : to adorne there persons beautyes stillyris banquits perfumes [and] wators.
- Recipe book, perhaps modelled after Hugh Plat's Delightes for ladies, but this does not appear to contain copies of the recipes in Plat's book. An introductory letter is missing the first leaf, which has been cut out, this letter is signed Jose: Lovett, and the manuscript of Delights for ladys is in Lovett's hand. There is a full table of contents to the Delights for ladys (p. xi). The reverse of this book contains recipes in several hands and is signed "Mabella Powell Her Booke" on the first page. Includes both cooking and medical recipes in both sections.
- 79 leaves : paper; 150 x 75 mm. bound to 142 x 80 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn209695260; (OCoLC)209695260; (CStRLIN)PAUR97-A1939; (PU)2362746-penndb-Voyager
- Gift of Esther Bradford Aresty, 1994.
- [England], 1655.
- Cooking, English -- Early works to 1800.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Cookbooks.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 17th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Powell, Mabella,; Lovett, Joseph,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 627
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts