BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Axiomes de medicinne; [manuscript].
- Axiomes de medicinne [manuscript].
- Collection of alchemical recipes for medicinal use. Includes introductory sections on the nature of maladies, their causes, and their cures. Also contains five leaves of charts listing ingredients and their properties (f. 8r-13v). Recipes include elixirs for epilepsy or stroke, purgatives, stomachics, remedies for worms, deafness, toothaches, gangrene and a number of powders, oils, syrups, and spirits with detailed information on their creation and application.
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 116 leaves : paper; 151 x 99 (128 x 78) mm. bound to 155 x 104 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn897474785; (OCoLC)897474785; (PU)6291821-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 573, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, f. 1r; stamps throughout, for example, f. 4r).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [France?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Diagrams.; Drawings.; Prescriptions.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, French; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1660
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts