BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Text on animal omens,; 1700s.
- Text on animal omens, 1700s.
- The size of a pocket book, this manuscript most likely was carried by the jyotiṣī (astrologer) for consultation. It deals with the auspicious and inauspicious consequences of encountering different birds and animals. The usual term for omen in Sanskrit śakuna means "bird" as well as "omen". Omens have played and continue to play a significant role in people's lives, with many quite attentive to the significance of various animal sounds and movements, especially bird calls. Manuscript is incomplete.
- 1 item (7 leaves) : paper; 11 x 15 cm.
- (OCoLC)ocn829951390; (OCoLC)829951390; (PU)5917883-penndb-Voyager
- In Braj; (Devanāgarī)
- Birdsongs -- Symbolic aspects.; Omens -- India.; Hindu astrology.; Animals -- Symbolic aspects.; Animals in art.; Manuals (instructional materials); Miniatures (paintings); Manuscripts, Sanskrit; 18th century.; Manuscripts; India
- Call Number:
- Ms. Coll. 390
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts