BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Mārkaṇḍeyapurāṇa,; circa 1600-1750.
- Mārkaṇḍeyapurāṇa, circa 1600-1750.
- Text comprises multiple chapters in the form of poetic verse and praise meters and concerns different topics related to Hindu mythology, rites, and ceremonies, especially that related to the deity Viṣṇu (especially his form as Nārāyaṇa), but includes sections dedicated to other gods as well. A notable example is the Manvantara devīmāhātmya dedicated to the great goddess who is said to appear during the eight cosmic cycle (manvantara). Other sections are concerned with other cosmic ages, as well as the praise of ancestors, the praise of the sun (āditya), among others. Text is narrated by the mythical sage Mārkaṇḍeya.
- 1 item (167 leaves) : paper; 14 x 33 cm.
- (OCoLC)ocn798928242; (OCoLC)798928242; (PU)5788241-penndb-Voyager
- In Sanskrit; (Devanāgarī)
- Devotional literature, Sanskrit.; Hindu mythology.; Mārkaṇḍeya (Hindu mythology); Hindu goddesses.; Vishnu (Hindu deity); Nārāyaṇa (Hindu deity); Ancestor worship -- Hinduism.; Hindu astronomy.; Poems.; Prayers.; Hymns.; Manuscripts, Sanskrit; 17th century.; 18th century.; Manuscripts; India
- Call Number:
- Ms. Coll. 390
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts