BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Select pieces &c.; [manuscript].
- Select pieces &c. [manuscript].
- Excerpts from orations, sermons, and other prose works of the 18th century and early 19th century, with a focus on political rhetoric. The first item is an oration, On the rise and progress of American independence, which has an explanatory note about intended use at commencement at the University of Pennsylvania. Other authors represented include William Pitt, Charles James Fox, and Richard Brinsley Sheridan, all members of the British Parliament; and ministers John Daniel Gros and Samuel Stanhope Smith. A statement by Governor John Jordan Crittenden of Kentucky in 1850 (f. 52r-53r) and the last words of President Zachary Taylor (f. 81r), who died in 1850, may have been added by another hand.
- 84 leaves : paper; 160 x 100 mm. bound to 164 x 104 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn806318025; (OCoLC)806318025; (PU)5810567-penndb-Voyager
- English, with 2 sections in German (f. 41r-49r, 78r-81r) and a few words of Latin (f. 12r).
- Possible former ownership inscriptions: Frederick L. Smith (f. 84v), Henry A. Smith (inside lower cover).; Purchased, 1968.
- [Philadelphia?, ca. 1792-1818]
- Speeches, addresses, etc., English.; Codices.; Commonplace books.; Excerpts.; Orations.; Sermons.; Manuscripts, American; 18th century.; 19th century.; Manuscripts, English
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1626
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts