BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
La Filis; [manuscript] :; obra heroica y tragica /; de Antonio da Fonseca Soares.
- La Filis [manuscript] : obra heroica y tragica / de Antonio da Fonseca Soares.
- Story of Phyllis (Filis) and Demophon, also told in Ovid's Heroides, in ten cantos in ottava rima (the eighth and tenth cantos are incomplete, with only 5 and 15 stanzas respectively). Each canto is prefaced by a sonnet by Padre Manoel de Aguiar, and one stanza of ottava rima summarizes each canto at the end of the volume (f. 145r-147r).
- 147 leaves : paper; 198 x 142 mm. bound to 208 x 145 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn155962742; (OCoLC)155962742; (CStRLIN)PAUR94-A312; (PU)1580581-penndb-Voyager
- Text in Spanish, introductory material (f. 1r-3r) and concluding note (f. 147r) in Portuguese.
- Formerly owned by Robert Southey (inscription, dated 1801, inside upper cover), British poet laureate and scholar and translator of Spanish and Portuguese literature.; Sold by William H. Allen (Philadelphia), 1952 (note in Zacour-Hirsch placing this manuscript in the Gillet Collection may be an error).
- [circa 1800]
- Mythology, Classical -- Poetry -- Early works to 1800.; Spanish literature -- Classical period, 1500-1700.; Spanish poetry -- Classical period, 1500-1700.; Codices.; Poems.; Manuscripts, European.; Manuscripts, Spanish; 18th century.
- Personal Name:
- Southey, Robert,; Aguiar, Manoel de,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 173
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts