BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book]; [manuscript].
- [Recipe book] [manuscript].
- Recipes copied in the first half of the 17th century, with a table of contents keyed to the numbers of the recipes, which are numbered 1-79. The table of contents is divided into sections titled For Boil'd meats, For stewed Meats, To make Pasts (pastries), Roast Meats, Fryed Meats, Sauced Meats, To Make Tarts, and Milk Meats (including puddings). The recipes in this early group are closely related to the recipes of Elizabeth Grey, Countess of Kent, published in 1653 and 1687, but use earlier orthography than the published versions. To this early section of the manuscript (f. 3-48, rectos only), a few recipes for perfumes and cures (including for consumption, sore eyes, and heartburn) have been added by later hands on blank versos or in lower margins. Later hands (17th- to early 19th-century) continued to add recipes, primarily medicinal (f. 49-63), including cures for scurvy (attributed to Doctor Short), jaundice and toothache. The occasional culinary recipes include instructions for preserving lemons, making elder vinegar and cherry brandy, and pickling cucumbers. Later hands also entered recipes from the end with the volume turned upside down (f. 64-86). The first page at the end (f. 86v) is a table of contents that does not correspond to the recipes in the manuscript. It is followed by medicinal recipes (including for worms, bleeding, eye complaints, burns, coughs, another cure for scurvy attributed to Dr. Short, and purgatives) and a few culinary recipes.
- 86 leaves : paper; 191 x 140 mm. bound to 193 x 155 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn745907774; (OCoLC)745907774; (PU)5017377-penndb-Voyager
- Sold by King Alfred's Notebook (Cayce, S.C.), 2011.
- [England, ca. 1600-1825]
- Cooking, English -- Early works to 1800.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Cookbooks.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 17th century.; 18th century.; 19th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Kent, Elizabeth Grey,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1601
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts