BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Anciens et nouveaux statuts de l'ordre de St. Jean de Jerusalem; Ordonnances du Chapitre General tenu l'an 1631; [manuscript].
- Anciens et nouveaux statuts de l'ordre de St. Jean de Jerusalem; Ordonnances du Chapitre General tenu l'an 1631 [manuscript].
- The first work is a French translation of the 1676 Italian edition of the statutes published in Borgo Nuovo ("traduits sur l'edition de Borgeforte de 1676," f. 1r). It begins with a copy of the confirmation of eight statutes of the order from 1588, previously approved by Pope Pius V, followed by rules arranged into 19 "titles" addressing subjects such as the habit of the order, the prayers to be used, the exercise of hospitality, the treasury, elections, commanderies, and visits. The statement of responsibility in the caption title of the second work reads, "par l'eminentissime et reverendissime Grand Maistre Frere Antoine de Paule." The title for the second work that appears on the title page of the volume is "L'ordonnance du Chapitre du Grand Prieuré de France." This work covers almost all the same statute titles in roughly the same order, with three additional titles at the end concerning the chancellory, hostels, and galleys. The volume concludes with a detailed table of contents for the first work (14 p.) and a more cursory one for the second (2 p.).
- 184 leaves : paper; 300 x 194 (250 x 147) mm. bound to 309 x 215 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn155927520; (OCoLC)155927520; (CStRLIN)PAUR05-B10042; (PU)3778095-penndb-Voyager
- Bookplate removed from flyleaf verso and following leaf cut out.; Purchased, 1962.
- [France, circa 1700]
- Hospitalers.; Military religious orders -- France.; Monasticism and religious orders -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Ordinances.; Statutes.; Manuscripts, French; 17th century.; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Corporate Name:
- Knights of Malta.
- Call Number:
- Oversize Ms. Codex 1009
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts