BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Medical and magical compendium]; [manuscript].
- [Medical and magical compendium] [manuscript].
- Collection of medical recipes, folk remedies, charms, and spells, including a Hebrew translation of John of Parma's medical treatise, Practicella. Diagrams and notes added by later hands at the beginning of the manuscript (f. 1v-3v).
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- 114 leaves : paper; 227 x 165 (162 x 85) mm. bound to 235 x 170 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn828632201; (OCoLC)828632201; (PU)5910252-penndb-Voyager
- Hebrew, with occasional notes in Italian (f. 22r, 24v, 26v, 27v, 82v, 83v).
- Formerly owned by Italian philologist, poet, and biblical exegete Samuel David Luzzatto.; Acquired by the Polish scholar and bibliophile S. J. Halberstam from the estate of Samuel David Luzzatto, ms. 19 (Halberstam number on Montefiore label on spine and inside upper cover).; Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), after 1887, ms. 358 (label inside upper cover, Montefiore MS. 358; library stamps, f. 3r, 114v).; Placed on deposit at Jews' College (London) as part of the Montefiore Endowment, 1899.; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York) as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 430, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.; Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2015.
- [Siena], 1533.
- Medicine -- Early works to 1800.; Jewish magic -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Diagrams.; Tables (documents); Treatises.; Manuscripts, Hebrew; 16th century.; Manuscripts, Renaissance.
- Personal Name:
- John,; Abraham ben Meshullam,; Luzzatto, Samuel David,; Halberstam, S. J.
- Call Number:
- LJS 470
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts