BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Les quarante nouveaux statuts de la Maçonnerie qui fondent les pouvoirs des Chevaliers de l'Aigle ... [etc.]; [manuscript].
- Les quarante nouveaux statuts de la Maçonnerie qui fondent les pouvoirs des Chevaliers de l'Aigle ... [etc.] [manuscript].
- Forty freemasonic ordinances composed by the Chevaliers de l'Aigle (Knights of the Eagle), one of the highest degrees among freemasons in 18th-century France. The statutes include the following topics: the proper procedure for admitting new members and visitors, the process for proposing and adopting new statutes, the proper relationship between the statutes passed at various local lodges and the statutes accepted by the Great Lodge, the assignment of passwords for admission to various lodges, the distribution of marks of recognition to members of the order, the establishment of hierarchies within each lodge, the proper way of granting patents to new lodges, the method of coding messages in hieroglyphics. Following the 40 statutes are 2 catechisms addressed to the Chevaliers de l'Orient et d'Occident (Knights of the East and the West) and the Chevaliers d'Aigle.
- 34 leaves : paper; 195 x 152 (175 x 135) mm. bound to 200 x 160 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn231621055; (OCoLC)231621055; (PU)4320769-penndb-Voyager
- French, with a few citations in Latin.
- Formerly owned by Henry Charles Lea (bookplate, inside upper cover; inscription dated 1876 f. i recto).
- [France, after 1752]
- Freemasonry -- France -- Early works to 1800.; Freemasonry -- Rituals -- Early works to 1800.; Freemasonry -- Law and legislation -- France.; Codices.; Catechisms.; Bylaws (administrative records); Manuscripts, French; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Lea, Henry Charles,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1194
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts