BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Medical miscellany]; [manuscript].
- [Medical miscellany] [manuscript].
- Collection of standard 13th-century medical texts with inhabited initials showing medical scenes. 5 works of Isaac Israeli concerning diet, urine, fevers, and the elements, which were translated into Latin in the 11th century by Constantine the African, a Benedictine monk comprise most of the manuscript. These are preceded by a brief introduction to Galen and 2 short works on the pulse. Most of the illuminations depict Dominican monks teaching and tending to patients.
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- 149 leaves : parchment; 278 x 196 (188 x 125-127) mm. bound to 293 x 211 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn764478343; (OCoLC)764478343; (PU)5266652-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Lionel Tollemache, Earl of Dysart (Helmingham Hall, Suffolk, arms on covers; Dysart armorial stamp, f. 15v) in the 18th century and by his descendants through Bentley Lyonel John Tollemache (third Baron Tollemache).; Sold privately to the Robinson Brothers after the death of Baron Tollemache in 1955 and held in the private library of Philip Robinson.; Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 6 Dec. 1993, lot 53.; Appears in Jörn Günther Antiquariat's Mittelalterliche Handschriften und Miniaturen (1995), no. 4.; Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd., cat. 16 (1995), no. 46, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.; Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- [Paris, between 1225 and 1275]
- Medicine -- Early works to 1800.; Medicine, Medieval.; Fever -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Illuminations.; Treatises.; Manuscripts, Latin; 13th century.; Manuscripts, Medieval.
- Personal Name:
- Ḥunayn ibn Isḥāq al-ʻIbādī,; Philaretus.; Gilles,; Israeli, Isaac,; Constantine,; Dysart, Lionel Tollemache,; Tollemache, Bentley Lyonel John Tollemache,; Robinson, Philip,
- Call Number:
- Oversize LJS 24
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts