BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Medical and philosophical compendium]; [manuscript].
- [Medical and philosophical compendium] [manuscript].
- Collection of works copied by Charles Rainsford that includes texts on the Druze people and their religion, classical philosophers, and a final section of medical recipes and remedies. Also includes a partial list of contents (p. 30). There is a cracked but intact red wax seal on p. 80.
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 138 leaves : paper; 193 x 158 (165 x 115) mm. bound to 200 x 168 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn917935277; (OCoLC)917935277; (PU)6293581-penndb-Voyager
- English, with some Greek and a few words in Hebrew.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 610-614, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [Gibraltar?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Druzes -- Early works to 1800.; Philosophy -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Manuals (instructional materials); Prescriptions.; Seals (artifacts); Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1696
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts