BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Chymical Processes of the Duke of Buckingham; [manuscript].
- Chymical Processes of the Duke of Buckingham [manuscript].
- Alchemical compendium that primarily discusses metals and minerals and includes instructions for chemical experiments and processes such as the transmutation of metals or making small pearls larger (p. 241) as well as practical applications such as remedies for the pox (p. 96).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 142 leaves : paper; 202 x 161 mm. bound to 210 x 165 mm. + 1 note.
- (OCoLC)ocn917894897; (OCoLC)917894897; (PU)6293605-penndb-Voyager
- English, Latin, French, Italian, and German.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 609, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [England?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Chemistry -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Diagrams.; Drawings.; Manuals (instructional materials); Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, French; Manuscripts, Italian; Manuscripts, Latin; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1695
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts