BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book]; [manuscript].; Receipt book
- [Recipe book] [manuscript]. Receipt book
- Begins with an 18th-century, undated section of medical recipes, primarily for horses and other animals, but with some remedies for worms in children, ague, heart burn, rheumatism, etc. (p. 1-26), with a listing of the contents of this section on f. i recto. Remainder of the volume comprises culinary recipes for meats, cheeses, puddings, preserves, pickles; mead, wine, shrubs, and other beverages, with a few medical recipes interspersed (p. 40-165). The last section of the volume beginning on p. 107 includes some dates, 1803-1836, and attributions for most of the recipes included; the most frequently occurring names are Mrs. J. Arden Clegg or Isabella Clegg and Miss Barber. One attribution includes a place name, "Mrs. Christopherson, Sutterton, 1803." Other surnames include Barton, Carhill, Carrington, Collin, Forbes, Hamilton, Harrison, Horsley, Howe, Hughes, Parkinson, Urquhart, and Ware; plus the full names Gentle Brown and Charlotte Jones. A few recipes are attributed to "Enquire Within."
- 82 leaves : paper; 201 x 159 mm. bound to 204 x 161 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn187936930; (OCoLC)187936930; (CStRLIN)PAUR00-A373; (PU)2976063-penndb-Voyager
- Sold by Robert H. Rubin Books (Brookline, Mass.), 2000.
- [England, 1780-1850]
- Cooking, English.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Veterinary medicine -- Early works to 1800.; Wine and wine making.; Codices.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; 19th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Clegg, Isabella.; Clegg, J. Arden.
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 813
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts