Paludi Ponti[ne]; [manuscript];; visita delle strade di Roma.
Paludi Ponti[ne] [manuscript]; visita delle strade di Roma.
Large, mid-18th-century compilation of records on 2 subjects: first, manuscript and printed texts on the reclamation (bonificazione) of the Pontine Marshes (Paludi Pontine) and the cutting of the forests of Sermoneta and Cisterna di Latina, and second, mostly manuscript records of the Maestri delle Strade or Congregazione delle Strade, the municipal body in charge of the streets of Rome, and particularly of Pietro Millini, one of the Maestri delle Strade. The materials on the Pontine Marshes range from 16th-century manuscripts (f. 3r-19v), to 3 engraved maps from the late 17th and 18th centuries (f. 145r, 184r, 333r), to substantial printed texts from the 18th century. 2 texts printed ca. 1715, which present arguments about the cutting of the forests of Sermoneta and Cisterna di Latina, have parchment finding tabs (f. 146r, 307r) that correspond to a partial table of contents at the beginning of the volume (f. 1r-1v), which notes that the 2 items are related. The records of the Maestri delle Strade are a group of late 17th-century manuscripts in the middle of the volume (f. 185r-306v) including correspondence, reports of street inspections (many signed by the architects Pietro Andrea Bufalini and Tomasso Zanoli), and a single printed edict (f. 233r).
Pontine Marshes (Italy); Sermoneta (Italy); Cisterna di Latina (Italy)
Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
356 leaves : parchment and paper; 275 x 205 mm. bound to 292 x 215 mm. (with fold-out documents and maps up to 427 x 600 mm.) + 1 note.
Sold by Thorpe to Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 7636 (label on spine).; Formerly owned by Frederick North, Earl of Guilford; sold at auction at Messrs. Evans (London) as part of his collection, 8 Dec. 1830, lot 289, vol. 16, to bookseller Thomas Thorpe.; Sold by Hans Peter Kraus, List 204 (1982), no. 74, to John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 8.; Several component items formerly owned by Pietro Millini; the volume formerly in the archives of the Millini, a noble family of Rome (Kraus), and in the Colonna Biblioteca (Phillipps).; Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.; Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to Hans Peter Kraus, Mar. 1978.; Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.