BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book]; [manuscript].; Maddison Family Receipt Book
- [Recipe book] [manuscript]. Maddison Family Receipt Book
- Manuscript compilation primarily comprising medical recipes including prescriptions for named individuals, the earliest are attributed to Martyn Hill. There are also a number of culinary recipes and recipes for mead, wine, etc., plus a few verses, proverbs, accounts, and lists. Recipes are attributed to a number of named individuals including Doctors Stephens, Rantt, Garth, and Smithston; Lady Paget, Lord and Lady Howard, Lady Swain, Lady Widderington, Lady Portman, Lady Barkshire, Lady Rudston, the Duchess of Cleveland, the Countess of Kent, the Countess of Manchester; and a number of other men and women including Michael Scott, Charles Carborrowes, Sir Edward Bainton; and others with the surnames Crane, William, Anwell, Hillton, Clarke, Simes, Sandalle, Cocker, Harcourt, Harriss, Morgan, Ettick, Eton, Shaft, Young, Dutton, Hescot, Briscoe, Proctor, Townsend, Warpoole, Gramer, Matthers, Wyett, Eadward, Attwood, Marshall, Allibon, Douglass, Yeats, Hennage, Webb, Skelton, Snape, Thornton, Grinewell, Fasburey, cousin Swineburn, and more. The names of Morison family members are written on the inside cover.
- 149 leaves : paper; 182 x 250 mm. bound to 188 x 254 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn155964058; (OCoLC)155964058; (CStRLIN)PAUR95-A305; (PU)1580840-penndb-Voyager
- Inside upper cover contains ownership inscription of Chr. Maddison, 24 June 1675; John Cranford, 1710.; Gift of Esther Bradford Aresty, 1994.
- [England, ca. 1600-1710]
- Cooking, English -- Early works to 1800.; Herbs -- Therapeutic use -- Early works to 1800.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Wine and wine making -- Early works to 1800.; Accounts. -- aat; Codices.; Cookbooks.; Recipes.; Prescriptions.; Manuscripts, English; 17th century.; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Maddison, Mary.; Maddison, Chr.,; Morison family,; Cranford, John,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 252
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts