BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Dialectica elementalis seu prima dialecticae elementia; [manuscript].
- Dialectica elementalis seu prima dialecticae elementia [manuscript].
- Two works by a 17th-century Jesuit priest introducing Aristotelian and scholastic philosophy. Both works make frequent reference to Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas, plus occasional references to other philosophers, such as Plato (f. 167r), Porphyry (f. 207r), the Scotists (f. 167v), and Pedro da Fonseca (f. 168r). The first work covers language, logic, syllogisms, universals, and ontological categories. The second work deals with natural philosophy: prime matter, including its distinction from form and dependence on form, the difference between essence and existence, and various aspects of substantial forms.
- 312 leaves : paper; 196 x 141 (160 x 98) mm. bound to 203 x 150 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn191849770; (OCoLC)191849770; (PU)4261009-penndb-Voyager
- Latin, with a few scattered words in Greek (for example, f.207r).
- Gift of William Romaine Newbold.
- [Spain], 1686.
- Scholasticism.; Logic -- Early works to 1800.; Physical sciences -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Treatises.; Manuscripts, Latin; 17th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Aristotle; Aristotle.; Porphyry,; Thomas,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1123
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts