BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Extracts from the mago-cabalistic works of George Welling; [manuscript].
- Extracts from the mago-cabalistic works of George Welling [manuscript].
- An English translation by Charles Rainsford of selections from a cabalistic work by Georg von Welling that was printed in German in 1719 and transcribed in this manuscript by the occult writer Ebenezer Sibly. The text is divided into three sections based on the three principles of alchemy: the first section discusses the origin of common salt (p. 1); the second section pertains to sulphur (p. 96); and the third section discusses mercury (p. 164). There is a leaf laid into the manuscript with an engraved astrological chart for George III calculated by Charles Brent.
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 141 leaves : paper; 231 x 177 (172 x 135) mm. bound to 139 x 197 mm. + 2 notes.
- (OCoLC)ocn919264316; (OCoLC)919264316; (PU)6294373-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 624, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [England], 1793.
- Astrology -- Early works to 1800.; Cabala -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Codices.; Diagrams.; Drawings.; Manuscripts, English.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Sibly, E.; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1707
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts