BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Collection of alchemical works on distillation and fermentation]; [manuscript].
- [Collection of alchemical works on distillation and fermentation] [manuscript].
- Collection of works on distillation, fermentation, and other chemistry-related procedures divided into sections according to vegetable (p. 1), animal (p. 141), or mineral (p. 163). The first section includes general discussion of chemistry and the history of fermentation (p. 77) with a portion devoted to beer (p. 81) as well as practical instructions for making tinctures and spirits of different plant substances such as dragon's blood (p. 119) and rosemary (p. 23) and the preparation of cocoa butter (p. 37). The second section includes subjects such as coagulation (p. 142), the distillation of egg whites (p. 144) and deer horn (p. 152), and the properties of milk (p. 143). The third section encompasses discussion of substances such as sea salt, antimony, gold, silver, mercury, arsenic, and amber. Also includes a detailed list of contents at the beginning (p. i).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 157 leaves : paper; 311 x 207 (299 x 162) mm. bound to 321 x 221 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn907295346; (OCoLC)907295346; (PU)6293530-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 582, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [France?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Chemistry -- Early works to 1800.; Distillation -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Manuals (instructional materials); Manuscripts, French; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Oversize Ms. Codex 1671
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts