BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Méthode courte & facile de démontrer la fausseté de la doctrine des Protestants; [manuscript] /; par Mr. B.***.
- Méthode courte & facile de démontrer la fausseté de la doctrine des Protestants [manuscript] / par Mr. B.***.
- An anonymous theological refutation of Protestantism by a Catholic author. The text seeks to portray various Protestant denominations as modern reincarnations of older heretical sects. At the same time, the author juxtaposes the longevity of the Catholic tradition with the novelty of the Protestant movements. This novelty, according to the author, demonstrates the heretical nature of Protestant opinions. The critique relies on various patristic arguments about the proper distinction between true faith and heresy. The author takes particular issue with the doctrine of sola scriptura and insists that such an approach can lead to dangerous conclusions. The text goes on to list other characteristics of heresy and to refute Protestant critiques of the Catholic Church. The last chapters are devoted to refuting the Arian and the Berengerian heresies. Aside from Luther and Calvin, the text also mentions more contemporary Protestant theologians such as Jean Claude, Jean Daillé, and Pierre Jurieu. The work is divided into eight chapters; the sixth chapter is further divided into four proofs of the perpetuity of the Holy Church.
- 138 leaves : paper; 295 x 230 (210 x 135) mm. bound to 305 x 240 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn230826734; (OCoLC)230826734; (PU)4316209-penndb-Voyager
- Sold by Libraire Dubouchet (Saint Etienne, France), 1695.
- [France between 1755 and 1799].
- Counter-Reformation -- France.; Heresies, Christian -- History -- Modern period, 1500-; Protestantism -- Controversial literature -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Treatises.; Polemics.; Manuscripts, French; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Claude, Jean,; Daillé, Jean,; Jurieu, Pierre,
- Call Number:
- Oversize Ms. Codex 1189
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts