BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Notes on cabala]; [manuscript].
- [Notes on cabala] [manuscript].
- Notes on cabala collected by Charles Rainsford and copied into a commonplace book containing 10 introductory pages of printed material including a title page, introduction, and template for an alphabetical index, partially filled in by Rainsford. Sections include how to predict a plentiful or scarce season by observing the type of insect on an oak apple (p. 24), notes on the Persian magi (p. 22), the origin of the Evil Principle (p. 94), the Symbols of Pythagoras (p. 127), and writings on the book of Enoch and the seventy-two divine names of angels (p. 162).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 191 leaves : paper; 245 x 185 mm. bound to 251 x 205 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn919001729; (OCoLC)919001729; (PU)6293586-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 619, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [England], circa 1783.
- Cabala -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Hybrid books.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1702
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts