This beta site is currently under maintenance; collections and metadata are viewable but images and audio are temporarily unavailable.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Bet Elohim; [manuscript].; Shaʻar ha-shamayim].
- [Bet Elohim [manuscript]. Shaʻar ha-shamayim].
- Commentary on Solomon ben Abraham Avigdor's Hebrew translation of Joannes de Sacro Bosco's Sphaera mundi, followed by a commentary on a Hebrew translation, possibly by Almosnino himself, of Georg von Peurbach's Theoricae novae planetarum, with the assistance of Aharon Afia. This copy was made 5 years after the works were composed in 1546 (f. 168r). Almosnino's commentary on Sacro Bosco includes the earliest reference in Jewish literature to Amerigo Vespucci and America (f. 23v), among discussion of other geographical discoveries.
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- 162 leaves : paper; 268 x 177 (198-208 x 122-135) mm. bound to 276 x 195 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn801812359; (OCoLC)801812359; (PU)5797761-penndb-Voyager
- Originally owned by Peretz ben Yehuda Mintz Ashkenazi (colophons, f. 76r, 168r).; Formerly owned by Yitzhak Nahum Kuzi, Damascus, 1902 (inscription, flyleaf).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (Jerusalem), 24 May 1987, lot 52.; Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 17 Dec. 1991, lot 47, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.; Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2015.
- [Thessalonikē, 1551]
- Astronomy -- Early works to 1800.; Astronomy, Medieval.; Jewish astronomy -- Early works to 1800.; Planetary theory -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Commentaries.; Diagrams.; Tables (documents); Translations (documents); Manuscripts, Hebrew; 16th century.; Manuscripts, Renaissance.
- Personal Name:
- Sacro Bosco, Joannes de,; Peurbach, Georg von,; Avigdor, Solomon ben Abraham,; Afia, Aharon,; Luzio, Chaim,; Ashkenazi, Peretz ben Yehuda Mintz,; Kuzi, Yitzhak Nahum,
- Call Number:
- LJS 42
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts