This beta site is currently under maintenance; collections and metadata are viewable but images and audio are temporarily unavailable.
Colenda Digital Repository
Liber canonis [manuscript].
- Liber canonis [manuscript].
- Sections from Books 1 and 2 of Avicenna's 11th-century comprehensive medical work, as translated into Latin in the 12th century by Gherardo da Cremona. Book 1 addresses medicine generally; the section in the manuscript is from the first treatise and concerns the four elements. Book 2 is devoted to materia medica. A few small stemmata are drawn in the lower margins in Book 1(f. 3r-4r), and marginal notes and headings appear throughout, with marginal chapter numbers in the section from Book 2 (f. 12r-17v). Repairs to the centers of leaves in the section from Book 1, with vellum patches and text supplied in the first half of the 14th century (f. 5-11; Quaritch).
- 17 leaves : parchment; 284 x 210 (184 x 125) mm. (Book 1); 287 x 213 (208 x 144) mm. (Book 2).
- Medicine; Medicine, Arab.; Medicine, Medieval.; Materia medica
- Call Number:
- Oversize LJS 359
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts