BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Alchemical and medical compendium]; [manuscript].
- [Alchemical and medical compendium] [manuscript].
- Collection of instructional works bound together concerning alchemy, divination, medical remedies, and anatomy. Includes a partial alphabetical index (f. i recto-v verso). Instructions include details on alchemical procedures such as calcination, distillation and transmutation (f. 105r) including how to turn lead into gold (f. 114v) and sapphires into diamonds (f. 115r). An entire section is devoted to the properties of salt (f. 48r). Other practical instructions include a section on military stratagems (f. 35v) and remedies for wounds such a rabid dog bite (f. 45v).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 163 leaves : paper; 302 x 210 mm. bound to 315 x 215 mm. + 2 notes.
- (OCoLC)ocn912610869; (OCoLC)912610869; (PU)6293544-penndb-Voyager
- Latin, Italian, and Spanish, with some French and occasional words in Greek.
- Formerly housed in the library of the Jesuit College of Naples (note, f. v verso).; Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 587, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Anatomy -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Diagrams.; Drawings.; Manuals (instructional materials); Manuscripts, Italian; 18th century.; Manuscripts, Latin; Manuscripts, Spanish; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Oversize Ms. Codex 1676
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts