BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Particular processes from various experiments; [manuscript].
- Particular processes from various experiments [manuscript].
- Collection of alchemical experiments, medical prescriptions and recipes. The first section is devoted to the discussion of the 16th-century Irish alchemist William Butler's discovery and usage of the philosopher's stone and includes instructions for its preparation and application in curing ailments (p. 1-37). Subsequent sections include medical remedies such as an elixir for both fevers and smallpox (p. 65) and a salt that cures numerous illnesses such as gout, scurvy, rheumatism, and lost appetite (p. 55-56). Alchemical processes include transmutation of metals (p. 116, 143) and a method for creating a salt with many uses including reviving animals that have nearly suffocated (p. 140), removing the rancid taste from olive oil and making it sweet again (p. 140), and preserving fruits, flowers, and herbs (p. 129). Other sections contain instructions for making essence of vipers (p. 66) and how to create a perpetually burning light (p. 147). Also includes an alphabetical index (p. 280-291).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 141 leaves : paper; 227 x 186 mm. bound to 236 x 195 mm. + 4 notes.
- (OCoLC)ocn918950899; (OCoLC)918950899; (PU)6293584-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 618, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [England?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Manuals (instructional materials); Prescriptions.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1700
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts