BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
A philosophical treatise of a somnambule upon God: man: & nature; [manuscript].
- A philosophical treatise of a somnambule upon God: man: & nature [manuscript].
- Collection of treatises purported to be written in French by a young woman while in a state of somnambulation in the year 1786 and translated into English in Gibraltar in 1794 by a student of magnetism (v. 1, p. 36-37), most likely by Charles Rainsford. Sections include the definition of the Holy Trinity (v. 1, p. 1-36), discussion of mankind and nature (v. 1, p. 37-172), an overview of magnetism (v. 1, p. 173-218) and magnetic sleep (v. 1, p. 219-267; v. 2, p. 1-28), spiritual and natural magnetism and instructions on how to magnetize (v. 2, p. 29-71), a translation of a letter originally printed in French at Stockholm in 1787 that gives an explanation of animal magnetism and somnambulism (v. 2, p. 73-171), and extracts from the works of Emmanuel Swedenborg that explain animal magnetism and somnambulism (v. 2, p. 172-215). Also includes a list of contents for the first volume (v. 1, p. .
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 2 v. (138, 177 leaves) : paper; 193 x 160 mm. bound to 203 x 165 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn919322162; (OCoLC)919322162; (PU)6293582-penndb-Voyager
- Gibraltar, 1794.
- Animal magnetism -- Early works to 1800.; Sleepwalking -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Treatises.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1698