BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Medical manual and prescriptions] ... [etc.]; [manuscript].
- [Medical manual and prescriptions] ... [etc.] [manuscript].
- Volume of 14th-century Latin medical works translated into Hebrew. The first work, a manual and collection of prescriptions attributed to Gentilis Fulginas, professor of medicine at Perugia and Padua, comprises over half the volume. Smaller works follow: Sefer Tsirurgia, part of Florentine physician Dinus del Garbo's De emplastris et unguentis; Mavo bi-melakhah, Abraham Avigdor's translation of Bernardo Alberti's Introductorium in practica pro provectis; and a small group of additional prescriptions titled Mafteaḥ ha-sodot. Prescriptions added by a later hand inside the original lower cover. Marginal section headings or numbers and occasional marginal notes.
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- 84 leaves : parchment and paper; 220 x 150 (155 x 105) mm. bound to 230 x 165 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn830006898; (OCoLC)830006898; (PU)5918926-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by the Polish scholar and bibliophile S. J. Halberstam, ms. 406 (inside former upper cover, f. 1r, Ha no. on Montefiore labels).; Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), after 1887, ms. 441 (library stamps, f. 1r, inside former lower cover; labels on spine, inside upper cover).; Placed on deposit at Jews' College (London) as part of the Montefiore Endowment, 1899.; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York) as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 326, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.; Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- [Italy, ca. 1350-1499]
- Medicine -- Early works to 1800.; Medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Anthologies.; Manuals (instructional materials); Prescriptions.; Translations (documents); Manuscripts, Hebrew; 14th century.; 15th century.; Manuscripts, Medieval.; Manuscripts, Renaissance.
- Personal Name:
- Dinus,; Avigdor, Abraham,; Alberti, Bernardo.
- Call Number:
- LJS 471
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts