BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Della natura delle cose libri VI; [manuscript] /; tradotti dall' idioma latino nel volgar fiore[n]tino da Alessandro March[et]ti, fiorentino professore ordinario di filosofia nello studio di Pisa.
- Della natura delle cose libri VI [manuscript] / tradotti dall' idioma latino nel volgar fiore[n]tino da Alessandro March[et]ti, fiorentino professore ordinario di filosofia nello studio di Pisa.
- 17th-century Italian translation of De rerum natura by Alessandro Marchetti, a generally anti-Aristotelian teacher of philosophy and mathematics at Pisa. Publication of this translation was forbidden in Italy, so it was still being copied by hand in the 18th century. The translation breaks off early in Book 4 (4.265, f. 146v, with a dangling catchword), followed by a final page of text from slightly later in Book 4 (4.384-394, f. 147v).
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- 148 leaves : paper; 155 x 104 (99-106 x 65-75) mm. bound to 164 x 120 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn761216388; (OCoLC)761216388; (PU)5199129-penndb-Voyager
- Possible ownership inscriptions on title page and end of extant text, 1746 (f. 1r, 147r).; Formerly owned by Sylvester Douglas, Baron Glenbervie (armorial bookplate, inside upper cover); sold at auction at Messrs. Evans (London), 1823, to bookseller Thomas Thorpe.; Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 2571 (stamp on front flyleaf, label on spine).; Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H. P. Kraus, Mar. 1978.; Appears in Kraus's List 203 (1983), no. 206.; Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 10.; Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.; Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle in honor of Amey Hutchins, Manuscripts Cataloging Librarian, Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies, 2013.
- [Italy, before 1746]
- Didactic poetry, Latin -- Translations into Italian.; Philosophy, Ancient -- Poetry.; Italian poetry -- 17th century.; Materialism -- Early works to 1800.; Epicureans (Greek philosophy) -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Poems.; Translations (documents); Manuscripts, Italian; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Marchetti, Alessandro,; Cosimo; Glenbervie, Sylvester Douglas,; Phillipps, Thomas,; Stanitz, John D.,
- Call Number:
- LJS 179
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts