BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Collection of various tracts from original m.s.s.; [manuscript].
- Collection of various tracts from original m.s.s. [manuscript].
- Collection of cabalistic and occult works compiled and translated by Charles Rainsford. Includes a letter to a young lady in French (p. 8); a description of paradise (p. 52); discussions of biblical texts such as the book of Ezekiel (p. 52) and the gospel of Matthew (p. 66); and translations of several Italian cabalistic texts (p. 107).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 182 leaves : paper; 322 x 203 (278 x 170) mm. bound to 334 x 210 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn913830434; (OCoLC)913830434; (PU)6293572-penndb-Voyager
- English, French, and Italian, with occasional words in Greek and Hebrew.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 599, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [England], 1796-1797.
- Cabala -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, French; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Oversize Ms. Codex 1687
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts