BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
- Erbario [manuscript].
- Illustrated herbal with three styles of illustration: one group of illustrations following medieval conventions, sometimes with fantastic elements such as human faces, on recto pages through most of the manuscript; another, rougher but more generally somewhat more naturalistic group in ink outline, on verso pages or added alongside earlier color illustrations; and a third group of naturalistic color illustrations of plants including roots, leaves, flowers and fruit on verso pages. Approximately a quarter of the illustrations are accompanied by notes on medicinal properties and preparations of the plants, written in the same ink as the ink outline illustrations, mostly in Italian (the Italian usage suggests the text was written in the Veneto), but occasionally in Latin or a mix of both languages; the notes are written around and sometimes over the illustrations.
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- 100 leaves : paper; 245 x 176 mm. bound to 254 x 190 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn803521756; (OCoLC)803521756; (PU)5804762-penndb-Voyager
- Italian and Latin.
- Formerly owned by Rafael Gomes (signature on bottom band pasted to f. 1r).; Formerly owned by Leo S. Olschki; sold at auction as part of his collection at William S. Kündig (Geneva), sale 95 (23 June 1948), lot 42.; Formerly owned by Carleton R. Richmond, president of the Boston Athenaeum and the American Antiquarian Society; sold at auction as part of his collection at Sotheby Parke Bernet (New York), 30 Oct. 1981, lot 68.; Formerly owned by Henri Schiller (Paris).; Sold by Sam Fogg to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, June 2001.; Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- [Italy, 14--]
- Materia medica -- Early works to 1800.; Botany, Medical -- Early works to 1800.; Botany -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Herbals.; Manuscripts, Italian; 15th century.; Manuscripts, Latin; Manuscripts, Renaissance.
- Personal Name:
- Gomes, Rafael,; Olschki, Leo S.; Richmond, Carleton R.; Schiller, Henri,
- Call Number:
- Oversize LJS 419
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts