BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book]; [manuscript].
- [Recipe book] [manuscript].
- Collection of recipes for condiments, preserves, beverages, meats, soups, desserts, including several recipes for Indian pickles and curries. Most recipes are attributed and the names Mrs. Reynardsons, Mrs. Whitehill, Lady Gould, Mrs. Moseley, Mrs. Witham, Miss Trevilian, Lady Blackwood, Mrs. Fordham, Mrs. Yate, Mrs. Beck, Mrs. Weare, Mrs. Bell, and Mrs. Pedder appear repeatedly. One recipe is attributed to Fisher's Cookery Book (p. 107), perhaps Mrs. Fisher's The prudent housewife, first published in 1750, and another is attributed to Smith's Cookery Book (p. 143), perhaps E. Smith's The compleat housewife, first published in 1727. Among the recipes are household preparations for tasks such as blacking shoes, killing bugs, and polishing mahogany, as well as medical preparations. Starting from the end of the volume but in the same hand and with some of the same sources, 29 pages are dedicated to medical and household preparations.
- 95 leaves : paper; 236 x 180 mm. bound to 243 x 194 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn155930222; (OCoLC)155930222; (CStRLIN)PAUR06-B1; (PU)3945748-penndb-Voyager
- Purchased, 2005.
- [Hertfordshire, England], after 1773.
- Cookery, English -- Early works to 1800.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions.; Codices.; Cookbooks.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1037
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts