BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Quinque libri Egesippi nacione Judei de excidio iudeorum; [electronic resource].
- Quinque libri Egesippi nacione Judei de excidio iudeorum [electronic resource].
- Digital facsimile of an illuminated manuscript of a Latin translation and adaptation of De bello Judaico with information added from other historians, mostly Latin, traditionally attributed to Egesippus. Contemporary scholarly marginalia and glosses attempt to resolve inconsistencies between this text and the more literal Latin translation of Rufinus.
- 1 online resource (185 leaves) : ill.
- The added border with the Visconti arms (f. 2r) suggests that this manuscript was in the library of the bishop of Bamberg, Franz Joseph Anton von Hahn; many manuscripts in this library had borders with the arms of various well-known Italian families added before the library was sold at auction in Venice in the 18th century.; Formerly owned by W. E. Gladstone (Hawarden Castle Library, MMI10, label inside upper cover).; Sold at auction at Christie's, 8 Dec. 1982, lot 122.; Sold by Sam Fogg (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Feb. 1998.; Sold by Lawrence J. Schoenberg at auction at Sotheby's to an unknown purchaser, 6 Jul. 2010, lot 33.
- [Padua?, Italy, ca. 1460]
- Jews -- History -- Early works to 1800.; Jews -- History -- 586 B.C.-70 A.D.; Jews -- History -- Rebellion, 66-73.; Facsimiles.; Histories.; Annotations.; Manuscripts, Latin; 15th century.; Manuscripts, Renaissance.
- Personal Name:
- Lomer, Petrus,; Hahn, Franz Joseph Anton von,; Gladstone, W. E.; Schoenberg, Lawrence J.,
- Call Number:
- LJS 237
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts