BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book]; [manuscript].
- [Recipe book] [manuscript].
- Recipe book in 2 volumes, the first dated 1730, the second dated 1744. First volume contains cooking, wine, medical, and household cleaning recipes, the second is comprised mostly of recipes for cooking. Many recipes are attributed to members of the aristocracy, for example, Lady Newell (p. 201), Ladie Henett (p. 405) and the Earle Yarmouth (p. 406). Medicinal recipes in volume 1 include "the palsey water," "a collick water," "the plague water," and "the scorbutique water ... probatum est Sr. John Osten" (p. 400-403).
- 2 v. (78, 90 leaves) : paper; 194 x 158 mm. bound to 200 x 158 mm.; 188 x 158 mm. bound to194 x 158 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn209710163; (OCoLC)209710163; (CStRLIN)PAUR97-A2121; (PU)2362947-penndb-Voyager
- Gift of Esther Bradford Aresty, 1994.
- [England], 1730-1744.
- Cooking, English -- Early works to 1800.; Home economics -- England -- Early works to 1800.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Wine and wine making.; Codices.; Cookbooks.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 631
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts