BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book]; [manuscript].
- [Recipe book] [manuscript].
- Recipe book containing culinary and medical recipes, plus a few diary entries near the end, two dated 1683 and 1685 refer to processing flax. Entries on the last two folios record "my oune tex Jobe the 7 and the 8 and 9" and "my Fathers texx: then shall the dust return to the earth as it wase: and the spirit shall return unto god who gave it," as well as Biblical texts associated with other relatives and friends. These pages also record the deaths of two women friends in 1690. One leaf laid into the front describes her dowry "brought to Horncroft." Recipes are mostly for cooking and are often attributed to their contributers, for example, Goody Hebhorn and Goody Fouler's pasty crusts, Mrs. Francis Moore's elder wine, etc. Medical recipes include several for consumption and a doctor's prescription for "a purge for ye Gout and Rumatism."
- 141 leaves : paper; 170 x 107 mm. bound to 176 x 115 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn209690541; (OCoLC)209690541; (CStRLIN)PAUR97-A1933; (PU)2362740-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by John Whit (signature, inside upper cover).; Gift of Esther Bradford Aresty, 1994.
- [England?], [1678-1690]
- Cooking, English -- Early works to 1800.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Cookbooks.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 17th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Wit, John,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 626
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts