BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Clavicula Salomonis Regis; [manuscript] :; ex idiomate Haebreo versa /; per Dom[inum] Abrahamum Coturnium.
- Clavicula Salomonis Regis [manuscript] : ex idiomate Haebreo versa / per Dom[inum] Abrahamum Coturnium.
- 18th-century Latin copy of the Key of Solomon, a 16th-century magical handbook which includes instructions on subjects such as the conjuration of spirits (f. 11r), enchanting a piece of fruit with a love charm (f. 31v), extracting bat's blood (f. 104v), the preparation of ink, paper or parchment for magical practices (f. 105r), and the use of knives, swords, and wands (f. 96v). The text is divided into two books and contains a complete list of contents for each book (f. iii recto, 113r).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 121 leaves : paper; 223 x 164 mm. bound to 233 x 170 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn908145840; (OCoLC)908145840; (PU)6294358-penndb-Voyager
- Latin, with transliterated Hebrew words.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 584, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [between 1750 and 1799]
- Magic -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Diagrams.; Drawings.; Manuscripts, Latin; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1673
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts