This beta site is currently under maintenance; collections and metadata are viewable but images and audio are temporarily unavailable.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book] [manuscript].
- [Recipe book] [manuscript].
- Collection of culinary recipes, such as to pickle or preserve various kinds of fruits and vegetables, to prepare meat and fish, and to make wines and desserts; medicinal recipes, for ailments such as stones, colic, consumption, toothache, thrush, and worms; and household preparations, as for killing lice and moths and making substances such as ink and glue. The latest entry is a copy of an 1802 court proceeding at the Old Bailey against 2 men, Levy Cohen and Ephraim Jacobs, charged with forging notes from the Bank of England, which concludes with a verdict of not guilty (f. 76v-79r). The first leaf has medical notes of an astrological nature (f. 1v). Many edges repaired.
- England London.
- 90 leaves : paper; 307 x 194 mm. bound to 317 x 210 mm.
- Cooking, English; Medicine; Trials (Forgery)
- Call Number:
- LJS 165
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts