BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Causa del m[aest]ro fr[ay] Froilan Diaz confesor de Carlos Segundo, año de 1695 [1698?], y causa del yll[ustrissi]mo s[eñor] d[on] Bart[olo]me Carranza arz[obis]po de Toledo, año de 1558, ambos del or[de]n de predicad[ore]s; [manuscript].
- Causa del m[aest]ro fr[ay] Froilan Diaz confesor de Carlos Segundo, año de 1695 [1698?], y causa del yll[ustrissi]mo s[eñor] d[on] Bart[olo]me Carranza arz[obis]po de Toledo, año de 1558, ambos del or[de]n de predicad[ore]s [manuscript].
- Manuscript containing two separate works: The biography of Bartolomé Carranza, Archbishop of Toledo; and an account of the case of Froilán Díaz, Dominican friar and royal confessor. The majority of the Carranza text (f. 3r-68v) is dedicated to the bishop's life from the time he was first arrested on suspicion of heresy by the Spanish Inquisition in 1559 to his death in Rome in 1576. The Díaz text outlines how he took over from Pedro Matilla, the previous royal confessor, in 1698, the ensuing intrigues against him and plots to overthrown him, and his lengthy and secret imprisonment by the Inquisition while his trial bogged down in a battle over jurisdiction between the Spanish crown and the Vatican. The case ends with his eventual acquittal, restitution to his former position, and the reparation of his lost salary. Of particular interest are the details of Díaz's involvement in efforts to glean insight into the seemingly "bewitched' nature of the physically and mentally impaired king, Charles II, by conducting clairvoyance rituals with individuals supposedly possessed by demons.
- Toledo (Spain); Spain
- Philip II, 1556-1598.; Charles II, 1665-1700.
- 191 leaves : paper; 199 x 143 mm. bound to 203 x 155 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn302347378; (OCoLC)302347378; (PU)4446185-penndb-Voyager
- Madrid, [17--]
- Bishops -- Spain -- Toledo.; Inquisition -- Spain -- Early works to 1800.; Inquisition -- Spain -- Toledo.; Demonology -- Spain.; Codices.; Biographies.; Manuscripts, Spanish; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Carranza, Bartolomé,; Matilla, Pedro.; Díaz de los Llanos, Froilán,; Charles; Salazar de Mendoza, Pedro,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1367
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts