BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Compendium alchimiae]; [manuscript].
- [Compendium alchimiae] [manuscript].
- Alchemical treatise attributed to John of Garland concerning minerals, elixirs, the Smaragdine Tablet, a popular piece of Hermetica that was reputed to contain the secret to the creation of the philosopher's stone, and an alphabetical list of alchemical synonyms. Includes occasional references to works by other authors such as the 16th-century alchemist Isabella Cortese and the Dominican friar Vincent of Beauvais (p. 4) and a list of contents (p. ii).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 79 leaves : paper; 165 x 100 (127 x 77) mm. bound to 174 x 105 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn898474650; (OCoLC)898474650; (PU)6293593-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 575, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (initials, p. iii; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [Italy?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Treatises.; Manuscripts, Latin; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1664
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts