BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Ynquisicão, pleitos, bigamia; [manuscript].
- Ynquisicão, pleitos, bigamia [manuscript].
- A collection of church documents written by many different individuals in 17th- and 18th-century Portugal and Spain. The majority of the approximately 68 documents are briefings, referred to as breves, relating to the privileges and salaries afforded to the inquisitors of the Portuguese Inquisition. The documents include a wide range of arguments in favor of increased privileges. Other topics discussed in the documents are the rights of inquisitors to retirement pay, the privileges extended to their families, and a large section (f. 157r-212r) covering church policy related to the crime of bigamy. Most of the authors are Portuguese inquisitors belonging to the Court of the Inquisition located in Evora. There are also numerous letters from the King of Portugal, possibly Sebastian I. Luis Manuel Fernández Portocarrero, Archbishop of Toledo, also appears to be the author of at least one of the documents (f. 78r-84v).
- Évora (Portugal); Portugal
- 17th century.; 18th century.
- 372 leaves : paper; 300-305 x 196-203 (240-255 x 140-150) mm. bound to 313 x 214 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn308567818; (OCoLC)308567818; (PU)4449412-penndb-Voyager
- Portuguese, with passages in Latin.
- [Portugal, ca. 1600-1725]
- Inquisition -- Portugal -- Évora.; Bigamy (Canon law); Codices.; Hybrid books.; Manuscripts, European.; Manuscripts, Portuguese; 17th century.; 18th century.
- Personal Name:
- Ferreira, Pedro Augusto,; Fernández de Portocarrero, Luís Manuel,; Sebastião,
- Call Number:
- Oversize Ms. Codex 1394