BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book, account book, and notebook]; [manuscript].
- [Recipe book, account book, and notebook] [manuscript].
- Begins with 22 leaves of recipes copied in one hand, starting with "How to make mead," includes recipes for plumb cake, preserves (damsons and gooseberries), candied fruit, other cakes, pickles, wine, vinegar, a tansy, oysters and lobsters, etc. Two leaves of notes, "Resolved that the King at his coming to this City ..." on dress and ceremonies for welcoming the King (f. 23v-22v). Notes on business and commerce, in two hands, probably copied by students, incipit: The notes & bills discounted by bankers ... (f. 27r-70v). Prayer, incipit: Thou power supreme, by whose command I live ... (f. 71r-73r). Copies of 11 letters, mostly from Dr. Swift to Mr. Pope, some from Pope to Swift, one from Lord Bolingbroke to Swift, one from Swift to Mr. Gay, dated 1714-1725, probably copied by a student, ca. 1775 (f. 73r-129r). Notes on business, "Of promisory [sic] notes ..." (f. 129v-138r). With book reversed: accounts, recipes (including medical recipes for cancer, "oyntment for the itch," "The Revd Mr Dealtrys recept for the worms," and recipes copied from newspapers for rheumatism, coughs, and consumption), and "What Mrs. Anne Savill writ concerning Henry Jenkins" (died 1670 at Ellerton, according to this account), (f. 138v-149v). Accounts, dated 1718-1720, (6 leaves), are mostly for the purchase, sale, and shipping of hides and skins; names on accounts include: Cozen Richard Tireman, Thomas Thompson, Joseph Coats (signature, inside upper cover), Michael Bacon, Mr. Legg, Thomas Wellther, R[ev]d. Dobinson.
- 150 leaves : paper; 201 x 158 mm. bound to 210 x 163 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn212375645; (OCoLC)212375645; (CStRLIN)PAUR98-A6703; (PU)2487591-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Caroline Witherslack (f. 13v).; Sold by Philadelphia Rare Books & Manuscripts, 1998.
- [England, 1715-1775]
- Business education -- England -- Early works to 1800.; Cooking, English -- Early works to 1800.; Hides and skins -- England.; Traditional medicine -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Account books.; Cookbooks.; Notebooks.; Prayers.; Recipes.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Bolingbroke, Henry St. John,; Gay, John,; Jenkins, Henry.; Pope, Alexander,; Savill, Anne.; Swift, Jonathan,; Coats, Joseph.
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 753
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts