BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Anaçephaleoses da mónarchia luzitana; [manuscript] /; pello D[octor] Manoel Bocarro Françes, medico, philosopho, mathematico luzitano etc.; Estado astrologico
- Anaçephaleoses da mónarchia luzitana [manuscript] / pello D[octor] Manoel Bocarro Françes, medico, philosopho, mathematico luzitano etc. Estado astrologico
- The first part of a four-part poem in octaves on the monarchy of Portugal, with allusions to astrology, alchemy, and cabala. The manuscript contains a copy of the edition printed in Lisbon in 1624 in 131 octaves, with its accompanying annotations on selected octaves, followed by another copy of the work, copied from an edition printed in Hamburg in 1644 in 133 octaves; 20 aphorisms of Bocarro from 1626; summaries of 3 documents (dated 1659, 1640, and 1668) related to Manoel Bocarro; and a list of dias aziagos (fateful days) for a particular year, date not given. The list of fateful days is probably from another manuscript, being written in different hand and foliated (f. 59), unlike the rest of this manuscript.
- 120 leaves : paper; 203 x 145 (150-155 x 100-105) mm bound to 210 x 155 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn889798579; (OCoLC)889798579; (PU)6258430-penndb-Voyager
- Portuguese, with the concluding Peoratio of the first version (f. 40r) and other occasional phrases in Latin.
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon; bookplate inside upper cover; notes inside upper cover; embossed stamp on title page); purchased in 1978 or earlier (notes inside upper cover).; Sold by the Cassuto family in Portugal, 2014.
- [Portugal?], [after 1668]
- Astrology -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Histories (literature genre); Poems.; Manuscripts, Portuguese; 17th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Philip; Cassuto, Alfonso,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1646
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts