BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Mathematical recreations and tours of cards; [manuscript].
- Mathematical recreations and tours of cards [manuscript].
- Collection of works that includes a section on mathematical problems and riddles (f. 2r), a short work discussing the Hebrew alphabet (f. 8r-11v), and a translation of a letter written by a monk in Brussels to another member of his order, supposedly in England and dated 29 December 1768 which discusses cabala (f. 13r-35r). Also contains a catalogue of specimens of ores and minerals collected by Rainsford that is written upside down and starting from the opposite end of the manuscript (f. 188r).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 190 leaves : paper; 213 x 135 mm. bound to 220 x 148 mm. + 4 notes.
- (OCoLC)ocn919285895; (OCoLC)919285895; (PU)6293580-penndb-Voyager
- English, with a few words in Hebrew.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 608, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [England?, between 1764 and 1809]
- Cabala -- Early works to 1800.; Mathematics -- Early works to 1800.; Mineralogy -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Drawings.; Manuscripts, English; Early works to 1800.; Manuscripts, Hebrew; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1694
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts