BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
[Recipe book]; [manuscript].
- [Recipe book] [manuscript].
- Collection of 156 numbered recipes, most with named sources. Two frequent sources are Mrs. Morland (Dorothy Morland, 1740-1823) of Capplethwaite Hall (Yorkshire) and Mrs. Morland of Court Lodge (Kent). Mrs. Matson and Mrs. Wilson, also cited as sources, are women from two families to whom the Morlands were related by marriage. Two recipes are from printed sources, an unidentified magazine (f. 13v) and newspaper (f. 73v). Few of the recipes are attributed to aristocratic households, although the ingredients called for and the variety of preparations suggest relative affluence. The recipes cover a wide range of dishes, including meats, fish, shellfish, savory and sweet puddings, other desserts, and wines. A brief section at the end contains a small number of additional recipes, mostly for household and medical preparations (f. 73-75, with at least one leaf missing both before and after f. 73). A recipe for lettuce soup written on a loose sheet is laid inside the lower cover.
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Edgar Fahs Smith Memorial Fund.
- 83 leaves : paper; 200 x 160 mm bound to 205 x 165 mm + 1 note.
- (OCoLC)ocn927807161; (PUVoyagerBIBID)6300586; (OCoLC)927807161; (PU)6300586-penndb-Voyager
- Formerly owned by Anne Hinde (inscription dated 1832, inside front cover; one of the recipe sources is a Mrs. Hinde, f. 31r).; Sold by Samuel Gedge Ltd. (Hanworth, England), catalog 19 (2014), number 21.
- [England], [circa 1770]
- Cooking, English -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Cookbooks.; Recipes.; Prescriptions.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Hinde, Anne,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1727
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts