BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Curious experiments in natural magick and cabalistic from Albertus Parvus; [manuscript].
- Curious experiments in natural magick and cabalistic from Albertus Parvus [manuscript].
- Collection of instructions from Le Petit Albert, an 18th-century magical handbook, for conducting alchemical and cabalistic experiments and recipes concerning matters of love (p. 12), health (p. 65), and luck (p. 39) as well as other applications such as preventing dogs from barking at you (p. 48), preventing the effects of wine (p. 51), growing grapes and melons (p. 61), and creating talismans (p. 68). Also includes an alphabetical index (p. 261-266). A bifolium laid into the manuscript includes instructions for several different methods of how to catch plenty of fish and to make pigeons come to your dove house.
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 184 leaves : paper; 198 x 145 (166 x 118) mm. bound to 204 x 157 mm. + 1 note.
- (OCoLC)ocn918899840; (OCoLC)918899840; (PU)6293609-penndb-Voyager
- English, Italian, and Latin.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 617, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [England?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Cabala -- Early works to 1800.; Magic -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Diagrams.; Drawings.; Manuals (instructional materials); Prescriptions.; Manuscripts, English; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1699
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts