BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Aaron Katz diaries, 1913-1916, Volume 4
- Aaron Katz diaries, 1913-1916, Volume 4
- Comprises four leather-bound, preprinted, pocket calendar diaries published by the Standard Diary Co. The volumes were kept by Aaron Katz spanning four years from 1913 to 1916. Katz faithfully wrote daily in his diaries. He noted the weather each day in one or two words followed by his experiences of the events in his daily life. Katz noted daily business travels to Poughkeepsie, the Catskills, New York City, and other towns to obtain and sell iron, copper, rails, horseshoes, rags, etc. One employee Katz mentioned almost daily was Charlie Finn, who he referred to as Finn. Katz recorded the comings and goings of his sons Albert and Felix including dancing lessons, school, the movies, and attending services at Temple. He also recorded the daily life of his wife Sophie, shopping, cooking, social gatherings, and friendships. The Katz's attended movies, plays, and the opera in Kingston. He recorded social gatherings, dinners, playing cards games, whist, and dominoes with family and friends. Katz recorded the birthdays of his family and illnesses and deaths of family and friends. In August each year the Katz family vacationed at Rockaway Park, New York. In addition to work, family, and friends Katz wrote of his Jewish life. The family sometimes attended Friday evening or Saturday morning services at Temple Emanuel in Kingston a Reform Congregation. He noted talking with Rabbi Moses Eckstein, going to trustee meetings, attending High Holiday services, and Pesach. Katz occasionally mentioned national and international news such as Election Day, World War I, and an earthquake in Italy. A motor vehicle registration card for an E.M.F. Touring car is laid in the 1914 diary.
- 1 volume
- American diairies -- 20th century -- Specimens; American diairies -- Male authors -- 20th century; American diaries -- Jewish authors -- 20th century; Kingston (N.Y.) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century
- Geographic Subject:
- Kingston, New York, United States; New York, United States
- Call Number:
- MS 56, Codex 005.1, v. 4
- Arnold and Deanne Kaplan Collection of Modern American Judaica (University of Pennsylvania)