BetaThis service is in beta.
Colenda Digital Repository
Liber Piccatriciae; [manuscript].
- Liber Piccatriciae [manuscript].
- Latin translation of an Arabic magical handbook copied from the Spanish-language version. The text is a conglomeration of older magical and astrological works and is not clearly organized, but deals primarily with subjects such as talismans, lunar phases, and zodiac signs. Sections also include practical applications for performing magic with the use of talismans and sigils. The text draws on numerous authors and traditions, with a section devoted to discussing Indian astrological and ascetic traditions (p. 168), but also references Egyptian history, Islam, and pseudo-Aristotelian works. Also includes a table of contents at the end (p. i-x).
- Purchased with support from the B. H. Breslauer Foundation.
- 227 leaves : paper; 230 x 177 (185 x 100) mm. bound to 236 x 182 mm.
- (OCoLC)ocn913411235; (OCoLC)913411235; (PU)6294369-penndb-Voyager
- Latin, with occasional notes in French.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.; Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 589, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).; Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- [France?, between 1750 and 1799]
- Alchemy -- Early works to 1800.; Astrology -- Early works to 1800.; Astronomy -- Early works to 1800.; Magic -- Early works to 1800.; Occultism -- Early works to 1800.; Codices.; Drawings.; Manuals (instructional materials); Manuscripts, Latin; 18th century.; Manuscripts, European.
- Personal Name:
- Rainsford, Charles,; Northumberland, Hugh Percy,
- Call Number:
- Ms. Codex 1678
- Penn in Hand: Selected Manuscripts